Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Another Book List

Here are the books I’ve read over the last few months, most on our September trip to Utah.

Lost in the Forest, by Sue Miller – The story of a woman who loses her second husband and, because of her two daughters from her first marriage, how that changes her relationship with her ex-husband. This is a good book about family dynamics and the teen-age angst of the younger daughter. Sue Miller also wrote The Good Mother, the movie of which I saw years ago, and While I Was Gone (see below).

Knit the Season, by Kate Jacobs – This apparently is one of series of books about some women who knit. Pretty lightweight, not much to it, and I don’t recommend it.

Evening Class, by Maeve Binchy – I always enjoy Maeve Binchy’s books. This one is about a woman in Ireland who starts an evening class to teach Italian. The characters’ lives are somewhat interwoven at the beginning and become more so as the book progresses. It’s a fun book.

Wrapped in Rain, by Charles Martin – This is not a bad read. Some nice touches but not a memorable book. It won’t change your life, but it does have some likable characters.

Little Bee, by Chris Cleave – This one might change your life. It is about a teenage girl from Nigeria who escapes violence in her home country and finds her way to England to reconnect with a couple she met in Nigeria. I will warn you that there are some brutal scenes. It is a must-read.

While I Was Gone, by Sue Miller – A compelling story about a woman coming to terms with the long-ago murder of a friend. This one is really good.

Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon – This is the first of a series of books about a woman who time travels from the late 1940’s back to the 1700’s in Ireland. Quite an advanture. It is a long book which sometimes gets too bogged down in details, but the story is interesting. I have borrowed the second and third books in the series to take on our winter trip, so I guess I did enjoy the book, but I’m not going to commit to the whole series yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment