Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Stained Glass Class


I took a stained glass class over the last couple of weeks. Finished yesterday, and here is a picture of the result. You can see some objects through the glass of the sky; pay no attention to them. My project didn’t turn out too bad, but I received a lot of help with soldering, and an instructor did the frame for me.

I won’t say that I hated doing stained glass, but I can’t say that I enjoyed it either. It is a very tension-producing activity. It is difficult to score the glass where you want it to break and difficult to break the glass along the scored line. It is tiresome and boring to grind the glass and tedious to solder the pieces together. Throughout the project there is always the danger of breaking a piece and always the danger of being cut by broken glass. I don’t think I will ever do it again.

Paddy has kept himself occupied here at Palm Creek doing lawn bowling. He really enjoys this activity, which is a little like bocce ball, only different. The balls are not exactly round; they are slightly larger on one side to enable rolling on a curve. Turns out that Paddy is pretty good at this game, and the other day he received a cocktail glass for winning two games. He is proudly using the glass at toddy time every day.

Shadow is doing very well. His blood pressure and urine protein level are much better than before we left home. Not normal, but not shockingly high. His Olympia vet is happy with the new results and says we do not have to take him to anymore strange vets on the road, just bring him in when we get home. He's getting better about eating the low-protein food. We're very happy.

Last week, our friends Ada and Rick, from Olympia, were in Phoenix and came to see us in Casa Grande (about an hour from where they were staying). It was great to have a little taste of home. I miss our friends in Olympia. It's fun to travel, but I also look forward to getting back into our other life.

So that’s what is going on with us. We will be here until January 28th, then on to Tucson.

1 comment:

  1. From Leslie..I have been wondering what you were up to! So, you will not be a stained-glass artist? Perhaps not. I like your piece anyway. Sort of like quilting with glass. So happy to hear that Shadow is doing much better. Mo and I have not been walking...one thing and another preventing it..but I have hopes that soon we will get back on track! Enjoy your time..I will be in Tucson from Feb. 23-27th.

    ReplyDelete