Sunday, December 5, 2010

Zumba Gold

I first heard about Zumba from my friend Leslie, who took some classes in California last year. She was very enthusiastic about it, as were several people here in the Country Roads RV Resort. So, on Thursday I took my first class, and frankly I wasn’t impressed. It was just another aerobics class. At the end of the class the instructor mentioned that this was a “Zumba Gold” class – gold, which rhymes with old. Turns out it was a low-energy, low-impact class. The instructor then said that they were going to have a class on Saturday which would have two instructors, one demonstrating Zumba Gold and the other demonstrating the regular Zumba. I attended the Saturday class and, wow, what a difference. I couldn’t do all of the high-impact stuff, but certainly stepped up the energy while always keeping at least one foot on the floor. It was much more fun than the Thursday class. There are three Zumba classes a week, and I will probably be going regularly.

The other days I have been doing water aerobics. They use a tape or CD for water aerobics, no live instructor, and they use the same ones every day. It’s a good workout if you put yourself into it, but kind of boring to do the same things over and over. Oh well, we’ll only be here a month. I also walk a bit – this is a very large park with lots of roads to walk up and down. In fact, the walk to the garbage and back is about a mile.

While I’ve been doing all my activities, Paddy has been a bit under the weather. He is having a flare-up of his diverticulitis. He called our doctor in Olympia on Thursday and had a prescription for antibiotics sent to a pharmacy here in Yuma. He's better today. Paddy did play shuffleboard one day, won one game and lost the other.

We went to lunch yesterday (Saturday) with our friends Al and Mavis. (We went to a Mexican restaurant, but Paddy was limited to soup.) Al is an artist Paddy met at an art show in Washington when he was selling his photographs. Al and Mavis spend summers in Washington and winters in Yuma, although this year Al also spent the summer here to have eye treatments. Mavis won’t spend a summer here, and I don’t blame her. It gets up to 120 degrees!

Shaddy is having a birthday tomorrow. He’ll be 12 years old. He’s beginning to miss a step here and there – literally. Sometimes he stumbles jumping on the bed or taking the steps into Uncle Joe. At least he is eating again, although only about half of his normal food allotment. He seems to be his normal perky self though, so we aren't worried about him.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to the little guy! Glad you found a class you enjoy and hope Paddy is feeling tip top soon! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. From your Zumba friend Leslie--it IS fun, isn't it? It's more music and dance than aerobics, though it is aerobic of course. Glad you found a class you enjoy. Sorry Paddy isn't feeling too well. I hope that his condition improves quickly.
    I am back on both feet and did 15 minutes on a treadmill. Not quite ready for Zumba, too much side to side movement. Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete