One Thousand White
Women, by Jim Fergus. This is a
novel about some white women who go to live with and marry Cheyenne Indians in
the 1870s. It tells interesting details
about the lives of Indians in that time, and the story is well told using the
device of journals written by the main character, May Dodd. I recommend the book to everyone except my
friend Linda Scharf who does not like books with unhappy endings.
Snow Hunters, by
Paul Yoon. This is an unusual novel
which goes back and forth between the past and the present (the 1950s and 1960s). Sometimes it is difficult to determine where
and when the action is taking place. The
book is about a North Korean man who was captured by the Americans during the
Korean War and spent a few years in the prison camp. After the end of the war, rather than being
repatriated, he chose to be sent to Brazil to be an apprentice tailor. It is beautifully written.
We Are Water, by
Wally Lamb. A novel about artists, one a
black man who created his art in the 1950s, the other a woman who creates her
art in current times. The two are tied
together mostly by place. The story
unfolds through the eyes of the woman artist, her ex-husband, and their grown
children. I enjoyed this book and
recommend it.
The Last Policeman,
by Ben H. Winters. This is a mystery,
the first in a three-book series. I
don’t usually read mysteries, but I got this one because I had heard the author
interviewed on NPR. The interview was
focused on the second book in the series, which had just come out, and I didn’t
really understand that it was going to be a mystery. The underlying story is about the coming
end-of-the-world due to an asteroid headed toward earth which will cause the
destruction of the earth’s atmosphere after it hits, something like what might
have happened to the dinosaurs. That’s
what interested me and caused me to get the book. If you like mysteries, this might be for
you.
The Eternal Wonder,
by Pearl S. Buck. This novel was written
by Pearl Buck before she died, then it disappeared for 40 years. It has resurfaced and been edited by her son,
Edgar Walsh. It’s too bad she wasn’t
able to finish the work on the book, as I think it would have been better had
she been able to. That said, it’s still
a pretty good book about a young genius who has a variety of experiences
growing into manhood. There are a number
of thought-provoking conversations about the world -- art, science, prejudice,
sex. I enjoyed it, with some
reservations.
The Paradise, by
Emile Zola. Originally, this novel was
written in French in the late 1800s. It
was made into a British TV miniseries, which I have not seen. It is about the building of a huge Paris
department store when such emporiums were novelties, and it is also a sort of
love story between the owner of the store and a young shopgirl. I enjoyed it as a period piece, but not as a
piece of great writing. Parts of the
book are very tedious with detailed descriptions of displays in the store, The
Ladies Paradise, and the narrative about the characters is very choppy and
uneven. It’s probably better as
interpreted in the miniseries.
Honey on Your Mind,
by Maria Murnane. Amazon often
advertises $.99 books for the Kindle, and this was one. It is a light, quick read about the travails
of a young woman who does human interest segments on a daytime TV show and is
also starting a line of tee shirts and tote bags with witty sayings. Cute.
The Scavenger’s
Daughters, by Kay Bratt. This is
first of a proposed series of books about the scavenger’s daughters. The scavenger is an old Chinese man (in
China) who supports his large family of daughters by finding and recycling
trash. The daughters are girls he has
found during his scavenging efforts.
They have been abandoned for various reasons, and he has been reluctant
to put them into the “system” – an orphanage.
It is a sweet and poignant story, but I doubt that I will read any of
the other books when they are released.
Time to move on.
Brava, Valentine,
by Adriana Trigiani. This is pretty much
a love story, but fairly good for that genre.
Kindle keeps recommending romance books for me, which are not my
favorites. This one is about a woman who
takes over a custom shoe manufacturing company which is family owned and
operated. There are interesting
characters (her Italian family) but not enough depth to make this a great
book. I give it three out of five stars.
Daughter of the
Bamboo Forest, by Sheng-Shih Lin. I
liked this story of a young Chinese girl growing up in China during the
1940s. These were tough times, with the
Japanese invasion followed by the Communist revolution. Added to those external problems, the girl,
Little Jade, has a father who is distant with her, a young step-mother who
despises her, and a missing mother. Her
only close relationship is with her grandmother, who dies early on in the
book. I found this book while searching
books by Amy Tan; this one is similar to Amy Tan. Recommended.
Half Broke Horses,
by Jeannette Walls. This book is
described as a true-life novel. It tells
the life story of the author’s grandmother.
Jeannette Walls is also the author The
Glass Castle, and if you’ve read that one you already know that she comes
from a colorful family. I enjoyed this
one more than the first book, and I heartily recommend it.
Orphan Train, by
Christina Baker Kline. This is a sad
story about an orphaned girl from New York City who is sent to Minnesota on an
“Orphan Train” with the hope of finding a new family. These trains were run regularly from the late
1800s through the 1920s. The side story
is of a current-day orphan in the foster care system. Both girls have some bad experiences,
particularly the one from the 1920s. The
book is well-written and draws the reader into both stories and their
similarities. Yes, I recommend this
one.
She Wore Only White,
by Dorthe Binkert. This novel tells the
story of a woman who leaves her husband and stows away on a ship going from
Antwerp, Belgium, to New York in 1904.
She is wearing a beautiful white evening gown and has no luggage of any
kind: hence the title. There are a
number of interesting characters, although at least one of them tends toward
melodrama. I enjoyed the book.
War Brides, by
Helen Bryan. What a good book! It is about five women who are thrown
together in a small village in England during WWII. They each marry and part after the end of the
war. Then they get together for a
reunion 50 years later, with surprising results. This is a “must-read.”
Silver Sparrow,
by Tayari Jones. I really liked this
book. It is about two daughters of a
male bigamist. The older daughter (by a
few months) was born out-of-wedlock, and then her parents married in another
state with full knowledge by her mother of the father’s marriage to the second
daughter’s mother. Sound complicated? It is.
A very well-told story of how these things happen to some people.
Rebekah’s Journey,
by Ann Bell. I have mixed feelings about
this book. It is about a young Quaker
girl who emigrates from London to America in the 1700s, coming as an indentured
servant. The historical aspects are
interesting and the story isn’t bad, but the style of writing is so simplistic
(Quakers go in for simplicity) and so religious that I found myself skipping
large parts of it. There’s nothing to
savor here, just straightforward storytelling with doses of theism and
Quakerism 101.
Golden Country,
by Jennifer Gilmore. This novel is
about Jewish immigrants finding their way to success in America beginning in
the mid-1920s and ending in the early 1960s.
Very well done; I recommend it.
Katharine of Aragon:
The Story of a Spanish Princess, by Jean Plaidy. This is a well-researched novel about
Katharine of Aragon, King Henry VIII’s first wife. Compelling and interesting. I love long historical novels, and this one
fits the bill.
Sycamore Row, by
John Grisham. I have liked most of the
Grisham books I have read, and this one is well-crafted. There was not a lot of suspense, but it held
my interest. It is about a contested
will where which a Mississippi man wrote a last-minute will leaving the bulk of
his large estate to his black housekeeper and nothing to his grown children and
his grandchildren.
Midwives, by
Chris Bohjalian. A novel about a Vermont
midwife who is accused of performing an emergency Cesarean section on a woman she
thought was dead but others thought she was still alive. It’s a good story told from the perspective
of the midwife’s teenage daughter.
There’s courtroom drama and suspense about the outcome of the trial.
Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy, by Helen Fielding. Remember the old book and movie, Bridget Jones’ Diary? This is the second sequel to that one. It takes place years later, when Bridget is
in her early 50s, widowed with two children.
I heard an interview with the author, so thought I’d try it. I expected Bridget to have grown up, not been
so flighty anymore. Wrong. It’s a cute book, though, despite her
incessant references to farts. She dates
a young man, 29 years old, whom she refers to as “toy boy.” Try it if you want a light read.
Russian Winter,
by Daphne Kalotay. This is a really good book. It is a novel about a Russian ballerina
during and after World War II, and also currently as an old woman. She managed to defect from Russia in the
early 1950s and moved around Europe before finally ending up in Boston. There is also a middle-aged man who was born
in Russia, adopted, and was told that his birth mother was a ballerina. He has a pendant which matches some earrings
and a bracelet owned by the old woman, and he thinks she may be his
mother. I recommend this one.
No comments:
Post a Comment