We picked up the 5th wheel today and brought it home. It is a 34-foot HitchHiker II with three slide-outs. What a BEAUTIFUL rig! This is not camping, it is traveling in style. We are calling the trailer Uncle Joe, after my favorite uncle who died last summer; he was in his 90’s. Uncle Joe was always so much a part of my life, and I have many fond memories of him.
We took about three hours to learn how to turn everything on and off, how to hook it up to the truck to tow, how to unhook it, and how to set everything up. Right now Uncle Joe (the trailer, not some ghost of my old uncle) is sitting out in our driveway, with all three slide-outs out, looking impressive for all the neighborhood to see. Mostly for security reasons; Paddy figures no one could steal it if they can't close the slide-outs. He talked about spending the night in it, but I believe he’s changed his mind. We’ll have plenty of chances to spend the night when we take it on the road.
I’ve been loading Uncle Joe up with some of the necessaries – dishes, pots and pans, towels, sheets, blankets, etc. We’ll take it to its permanent home tomorrow, a covered space in a storage area. Our first trip is planned to begin on May 11th around the Olympic Peninsula. We are all excited! Wish us luck.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well darling, it took longer than we thought it should – didn’t it.
ReplyDeleteI’m in the process of tossing all the research on the rigs we look at; Class C’s, Class B +’s, trailers and fifth wheels. There was a lot of toil to that.
But we wound up with a beauty of solid four season quality. I’m looking forward to being on the road with you and the Shadman.
Tally ho!
I'm so excited for you guys! I can't wait for the travel tales and photos. Happy trails!!!
ReplyDelete