Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Getting Up There

I met up with a new indication of old age today.

I had a doctor's appt to check my triglycerides once again. The result was very good. I am on Simvastatin pills for cholesterol, but they weren't doing anything for my triglycerides. So, several months ago the doc told me to also take fish oil pills three times a day to try and improve the numbers. The good news is that it worked, and my tryglyceride level is now well within the normal range. Apparently there is something magic about the combination of Simvastatins and fish oil. I'm not about to argue about the logic of it, just happy with the result.

But, while I was there I asked him about a bump on the outer joint of the middle finger of my left hand. He immediatly pronounced that it is a Heberden's Node, an indication of osteoarthritis. This is not the "bad" kind of arthritis (rheumatoid arthritis), but is common for people (especially women) as they age. Nothing to be done about it, and apparently nothing to be worried about. Just part of the process. Who knew?

Aging is an interesting process, and apparently I am seeing some progress along the trail. Hmmmm.

1 comment:

  1. Ah well, better than the "bad" variety. Glad the fish oil is helping. :)

    ReplyDelete