After setting up Uncle Joe, we headed into town for lunch from Dairy Queen. We took our burgers and Blizzards to a park with shady picnic tables where Shadow could join us. Mmmmm.



Next we went to see the Crazy Horse Memorial. It’s very well done with a museum and lots of Indian artifacts, artwork, jewelry, a couple of teepees, a movie about the work on the sculpture, and mock-ups of the planned piece. This project is huge. They’ve been working on it since 1948 and still only have the face completed, although other parts are beginning to take shape. They are doing it all with private donations and tourist fees -- no government funds -- which means they have a long way to go and probably won’t finish it in my lifetime. They allowed us to bring Shadow into the visitor center/museum if we carried him, which was good because it was a hot day. If they hadn’t allowed him in, we would have had to go separately in shifts with one of us staying with Shad while the other went inside. If you travel this direction, I recommend stopping off at Crazy Horse.
After Crazy Horse, we set out to find some wine (we’re out). One place had only local wines. I wasn’t familiar with any of them, so I bought one bottle to try, but we went elsewhere to look for more. The second place had a wider selection, but the prices were much higher than we’re used to paying. I got several bottles of Turning Leaf chardonnay – definitely not near the top of our list. Then we stopped off at Subway and picked up a 12-inch tuna for supper. No cooking today. Yeah.
We had toddies outside with our new woven outdoor carpet. It’s going to work fine for us, although I don’t think Shaddy is too fond of it. The turkeys came through again; Shad didn’t see them this time.
No comments:
Post a Comment