
Yesterday we had a fun time exploring the Little Big Horn Historical Museum, with outdoor exhibits of cabins, houses, a slaughter house, a train station, a doctor's office, an old schoolhouse, an early service station. A few of the things exhibited were late enough into the 20th century that I remembered seeing them in the 1950s. Very worthwhile.
After that, we visited the Little Big Horn Battlefield. They have a very nice Visitors Center with lots of soldier and Indian accoutrements. I'm not big on battle strategties, so a lot of it was lost on me, but I did hear an interesting insight from a fellow visitor. He seemed convinced that the problem for the soldiers was that they were "out-gunned" by the Indians, meaning that the Indians had more guns. I guess he missed the fact that there were thousands of Indians and only about 220 soldiers. Duh.
Today we spent a down day here in Hardin, doing laundry, grocery shopping, housecleaning. This stayover is longer than we would have liked, especially since the weather is so hot. It is supposed to cool off either tomorrow or the next day. The campground host says it's not usually this hot. We hardly want to venture outside of the rig.
We are looking forward to getting back on the road tomorrow and heading toward the Devil's Tower. I have wanted to visit it since seeing the movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Maybe when we get back I'll rent it and relive the experience.
Nancy, I checked Pat's Blog and enjoyed the pictures on his expanded site, but told him I would see if your Blog confirms his description of the trip. It's clear you both are enjoying it all despite the "temporary" heat. Continue the fun!!! Tom
ReplyDelete