Saturday, September 5, 2009

Hot and Dry

We are in Hardin, MT and, boy, is it hot! Temps in the high 90’s for the next several days. Looking ahead at the forecast, it looks like things will cool down in Wyoming about Tuesday (we’ll be headed to Wyoming to the Devil’s Tower area on Monday).

Meanwhile, we are spending the holiday weekend at a KOA here in Hardin. Holiday weekends can be tough travel times because often the campgrounds fill up. We didn’t want to find ourselves looking for a Wal-Mart parking lot to spend the nights, so we decided to hole up here. Maybe not a good choice. I wonder if this is the hottest place in the country.

Today we plan to brave the heat and go see the Little Big Horn battleground and a local museum with lots of buildings and artifacts from early (white) settlers to the area. I think the Indian artifacts will be found somewhere at or near the battleground. For many years memorials to the Indians lost in that battle did not exist.

We are having an interesting time traveling with Shadow. We’ve taken long trips with him before, and he usually sleeps most of the time in the car/truck. However, this trip he has been very vocal about his wants and needs. It’s so hot and dry that he seems to need lots more water than usual. I keep a bottle of water for him, along with a dish and some other things, in a backpack in the backseat of the truck. When he wants a drink, he starts digging furiously at that backpack and crying. And he doesn’t quit until I give him water. He asks so often that sometimes I think he doesn’t really mean it, but when I finally give him a drink he goes after it like it’s going to be his last. Smart little guy, taking care of himself.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Nancy, "hot & dry" sounds like Albuquerque. It's neat to read the female description of the trip and I've put your blog alongside Pat in my "Favorite" list. Pat is always "up" (which is good), so your reality is needed to clearly describe "life on the road". I'm following your progress and hope you take many more trips!!
    Tom D

    ReplyDelete